swe.: Hättmurkla | nor.: – | fin.: –| dt.: Käppchenmorchel
Half-free morels are an edible species of mushroom closely related to the common morels. Opinions differ on these mushrooms and, especially in some older mushroom literature, these fungi are sometimes listed inedible. The fact is, however, that half-free morels can be used in the kitchen just like its more legendary relatives, the common morel. As with the common morels, the half-free morels are also toxic in their raw state and must therefore be cooked sufficiently (~10 minutes at min. 80° C). When cooking, the incompatible substances evaporate and the culinary product can be enjoyed without hesitation. Symptoms of poisoning are expressed in gastrointestinal upset.