Other Scientific Names: VISCIPELLIS LUTEUS, IXOCOMUS LUTEUS, CRICUNOPUS LUTEUS, BOLETUS VOLVATUS, BOLETUS LUTEUS amm…
height: 4 – 10 cm
cap: 3 – 11 cm
months: June – November
colours: white-yellowish stem, brown-violett ring, brown cap
characteristic: very slimy cap
habitat: Coniferous forest, Mycorrhiza (symbiosis) with pines
taste: mild, slightly sour
SLippery jack (Suillus luteus) occurs throughout whole Scandinavia and grows in pine forests. It has yellow pores and a yellowish-white foot with a ring and a brown cap, as well as a very slimy cap skin that is easy to pull off. The slippery jack is an appreciated edible fungus in many parts of the world, but the tough, slimy cap skin is believed to cause digestive problems, and can even influence the quality of other fungi that the mushroom is stored with. Therefore, it is often recommended to pull away the cap skin from picked specimen preferably already in the forest.
Slippery jack, like other fungi in the genus Suillus, can cause allergic reactions in some people. Foragers have to be aware of that and in case of reactions mushrooms from the Suillus family should not be eaten.
In some regions of the world it is a very appreciated edible mushroom, and also considered very good among Scandinaviens.
Slippery jack can be confused with the Larch bolete (Suillus grevillei) and other mushrooms from the Suillus family.
Notes for cooking: As it has no distinct taste, slippery jack is good to mix with other mushrooms in e.g. stews or sauces. However our favorite cooking mehtod of choice is breading.
Be aware however, that this mushroom can cause allergic reactions. If you experience any of those you should not consum these mushrooms.
We have compiled this overview with the best of knowledge and belief, but do not claim to be complete and reserve the right to make errors.
Learn more about poisonous mushrooms and mushroom poisons here